29 January 2019

Even more 3 to 3.5 star science fiction stories

So, as I mentioned in the previous post, before going to the 4 star or better stories, I dug around to check if there were more in the 3 to 3-1/2 star stories, and surprise surprise, there are more books which I read in 2018, each of which is rated around 3 stars, meaning I liked it well enough to write reviews and hope it gets good sales. So here are the last of the posts (hopefully!) with short reviews and links to find the books.

This is part 5 () of what is actually the same post, but broken up so that (a) it’s not too long and (b) I can label the post without losing any of the book or author names. This should (finally!) be the last lot of the averagely good lot before I rub my hands and get to the really good stuff.


The Interdimensional Dilemma of IAN and Betty | D R Brooks
⭐⭐⭐

An adventure story that includes: a librarian studying the phenomena (plural) of interdimensional bleeds, an interdimensional traveller, a bigfoot, Ancient Ones, vampires, werewolves, dhampirs, vampire hunters, Dr Frankenstein in an off scene role, a vampiric power struggle, blood and confusion, spelling and grammar mistakes, in order of importance.

All within a faux 19-century culture that charms and irritates in equal measure.

Find it here, free, on Smashwords.


Divergen Dreams | Tony Evans
⭐⭐⭐

A collection of short stories that ranges from slightly creepy to very creepy.

What can I say about a book the very first word of whose title is misspelled on the inside page? (I retained that spelling here.) All I can say is, it gets better than that. A lot.

Find it here on Smashwords. It's still free, last I checked.


The Sapphiran Agenda | Marcha Fox
⭐⭐⭐

A gentle look at sentient telepathic mobile plants that find herbivores horrifying, and carnivores that eat anything (including humans) easy to get on with and even control. Now, what happens when one meets a human it can deal with?

Yes, I call it a gentle story despite its being gory and displaying sneaky cunning in equal parts. 

Free, here, on Smashwords.


Residential Aliens | ResAliens Press
⭐⭐⭐

I liked two out of the five stories, Petition and Plague Ship. The other 3 were weak at best. Hence, overall 3 stars.

The collection seems to be strongly religion-themed. If that’s not your scene (and it’s not mine), the intrusive presence of Christian mythos and themes does detract from the stories.

Find it here on Smashwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment